Pre-Employment Drug Screening for Applicants
Employers with a drug-free workplace policy want to ensure that any potential employees are drug-free before sending an offer of employment. That is why many companies’ background check processes include screening for substance abuse. Learn more about how CCM can help your company run efficient pre-employment drug tests that are both fair and adhere to state and federal law.
What Does Pre-Employment Drug Screening Look For?
Clearing a Department of Transportation (DOT) test is required for all potential employees and current employees alike. Receiving a positive result on a DOT test or refusing to take one results in immediate dismissal from safety-sensitive DOT work.
DOT pre-employment screening uses urine samples to look for the following substances and metabolites:
- Marijuana/cannabis (THC)
- Opiates/opioids, including opium and codeine derivatives
- Amphetamines and methamphetamines, including ecstasy (MDMA)
- Phencyclidine (PCP)
DOT agencies also use urinalysis to screen for alcohol use.
DOT isn’t the only agency that can run pre-employment drug screens. Employers that partner with CCM can also run non-DOT workplace drug testing programs that screen for illicit drugs and other commonly abused substances, including:
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR DRUG TESTING SERVICES
Pre-Employment Drug Screening FAQs
What are the Pre-Employment Drug Testing Laws in Missouri?
Pre-employment drug and alcohol testing can vary by company and location, as state laws could determine which types of drug testing methods are legally permissible.*
If the employee is working for a DOT agency, the tests must follow DOT and federal guidelines.
For private companies in Missouri, there are no laws regarding the legality of pre-employment drug abuse tests. That means that human resources at a private company in Missouri can set their own company-wide drug testing policy—even as it relates to potential job offers—so long as it adheres to federal laws and regulations.
Choosing CCM for Your Pre-Employment Testing Needs
Keep illegal drugs out of your business. Choose CCM for fast, accurate drug test results that adhere to state and federal guidelines.
- Rapid results. Quick and easy is how all health services should be, including drug testing. Get your results the same day with a rapid test, or within 24 to 48 hours for non-negative results on a standard test.
- Flexibility. Saliva tests, hair tests, blood tests, urine tests: we offer it all. We also offer it anywhere: we offer mobile testing to select areas of Missouri in addition to walk-in testing services at our St. Louis brick-and-mortar collection site.
- Accuracy. If our affiliated HHS-accredited labs notice positive test results, we send the specimen to a medical review officer (MRO) to confirm the positive results. Once confirmed, the MRO will consult with both the job candidate and their doctor to see if there are any medical reasons for failing the test. A medical marijuana card is NOT a valid reason for positive DOT drug test results.
*Disclaimers: The information presented on this site is not professional medical or legal advice.